Don Lutz Report 11.18.16

Login

Click here to register.

Home Forums State Issues & Updates Don Lutz Report 11.18.16

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Schiff David Schiff 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Schiff
    David Schiff
    Participant

What a wonderful two and a half weeks it’s been for harvest. Other than a couple weeks at the end of May, first of June, we haven’t had two weeks of rain free weather, and just when we needed it for harvest. Corn yields continue to be impressive across all seed varieties and soil types. Local elevators are doing all they can to find space for this year’s crop. Most are having to construct extra temporary storage space in the way of additional outdoor piles.

Many farmers have finished harvest and are scrambling to empty manure storage and to get some fall tillage done. Many local farmers look forward to WI’s gun deer hunting season, and the unwritten goal of getting all field work activities done by deer hunting’s opening weekend is well understood, but not everyone will make that goal. There are still some corn fields standing, which will make some of the best deer hunting spots.
    Those who have finished harvest are reviewing what seed varieties were planted where and how well they did in preparation for deciding next year’s seed orders. Seed sales representatives are anxious to get everyone thinking about next crop season.

I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to share what’s been happening on farms this year in our part of Wisconsin. I would like to especially thank Wayne and Emily who’ve helped fill in the blanks of activities in areas when I did not get to observe them myself. I also want to express my appreciation to those who commented about following these biweekly crop summaries throughout the season. I hope everyone has a joyous holiday season, drives safely if traveling, and can spend quality time with family and friends.

Don Lutz, Scandinavia

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.